Ride-Along Policy and Rules
The goal of the Darlington County Sheriff’s Office (DCSO) Ride-Along Program is to acquaint citizens with the DCSO while providing quality service to the community. In order to accomplish this goal, the following policies and rules are applied to this program.
- The authorization and waiver forms must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the requested ride-along date. Please mail or hand-deliver the entire Ride-Along packet to 1621 Harry Byrd Highway, Darlington, SC 29532. If you have any questions please feel free to contact: Captain Mark Campbell at (843) 624-1058 or by EMAIL.
- The minimum age for the Ride-Along Program is 18.
- The Ride-long Program is offered as a privilege. The DCSO reserves the right to refuse any application for a ride along and a ride along may be terminated at any time at the discretion of the Officer or the Shift Supervisor.
- “Uniforms” of any type will not be allowed (i.e.: military, other police agencies, etc.) unless prior approval is obtained.
- Tape recorders, cell phone cameras or any audio and video device will not be allowed unless previously approved by the Sheriff.
You are riding in the capacity of an observer and you are under complete control of the Officer at all times. Every effort is made to ensure your safety; however, the officer’s first responsibility is to carry out his/her assigned duties. The officer you accompany will discuss his/her duties as time permits. If some emergency should arise, you must without question, comply with any orders or directions given you by the officer.
The required completion of the Authorization and Waiver forms provide notice of the rights and liabilities related to participation in our Ride-Along Program. Participants assume any and all risks associated with the officer’s performance of official duties as a condition of accompanying any members of the Darlington County Sheriff’s Office in the Ride-Along Program.
Thank you for your interest in the Darlington County Sheriff’s Office!
Click here for a complete Ride-Along Packet