Belinda D. Copeland, Darlington County Treasurer
Robin Slater-Edwards, Deputy Treasurer
1 Public Square, Room 203
Darlington, South Carolina 29532
Phone: (843) 398-4160
Fax: (843) 398-4161 or 393-8539
Normal Hours: 8:30 am. - 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday (Excluding holidays)
Q: Why did the Treasurer send my bill to the wrong address?
A. The Treasurer does not maintain property or owner records. The Assessor maintains Land & Buildings records while the Auditor maintains Personal Property and Vehicle records and these records are dependent on taxpayers to notify their offices of changes in address.
Q: How do I apply for high mileage discount on my vehicle?
A. To apply for a high mileage appeal, mail or bring a signed statement with mileage to the Auditor's Office before the due date.
Q: How do I apply for Senior Citizen Discount on vehicle renewal fees?
A. If you are paying by mail, send a statement with your social security number requesting a senior citizen discount. We will complete and mail your application to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If you qualify, DMV will issue you a refund check. If you pay in person, notify the person posting your payment that you would like to apply for the Senior Citizen Discount. Discount is for discounted registration fees only, not taxes.
Q: Why am I being charged taxes for the vehicle I just purchased? The dealer told me he would take care of tags and taxes.
A. The dealership is allowed to pick up your tags on a vehicle without paying local property taxes. When the dealer states that they are taking care of your taxes, they are referring to sales tax, which is paid at the local Department of Motor Vehicles.
For Your Information
- In South Carolina, vehicle taxes are paid a year in advance.
- If you are renewing your vehicle license tag, you can pay your taxes and renewal fee to the Treasurer's Office and eliminate having to go to the Highway Department.
- If you receive a tax notice for a boat or motor that you no longer own, you must notify the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources at Post Office Box 167, Columbia, SC 29202.
- When paying your taxes, please make reference on your check to the receipt number. This reduces the possibility of errors in posting your payment.
- If you receive a tax notice for a vehicle you no longer own, you will need to contact the Auditor's Office.