Darlington County Recycling

Darlington County Environmental & Recycling Services

Darlington County Environmental & Recycling Services
1 Public Square, Room 210
Darlington County Court House
Darlington, South Carolina  29532
Phone: (843) 398-4800
Fax: (843) 398-4811

Renee Howle
Environmental Services Director

Paula Newton
Recycling Coordinator

Summary of Services
Environmental Services Department - Construction & Demolition (C&D) Landfill. To plan and to provide the highest quality service necessary to assist the public needs. The Construction and Demolition Landfill contains debris from construction, demolition, and remodeling including structural items such as lumber, concrete, shingles, wallboard, limbs, furniture, rugs/carpet and mattress. Collective, per year we receive over 95,000 tons of debris.

The Darlington County Environmental Services Landfill handles and transport trash (garbage) to a landfill that meets the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Subtitle D regulations.

The "Subtitle D" Landfill has four planned cells expected to last twenty years. Lining each cell with a HDPE plastic liner and equipping each cell with a leachate collection system, this is to ensure that there is no leakage to the environment.

Hours of Operation:
Landfill located on 2301 Great Cypress Rd. Darlington, SC 29540. The landfill accepts construction & demolition debris and commercial yard waste, between 8am and 4pm Monday - Friday and 8am and 1pm on Saturday.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can citizens bring household garbage and yard debris to the landfill for free?
A. Darlington County Citizens can bring garbage (personal household) to the landfill. Yard debris disposal is free ofcharge unless you hire a contractor to haul the debris. We recommend citizens use a Darlington County Environmental Services Recycling Station to dispose of small loads. There are thirteen (13) Recycling Station throughout Darlington County.

Q. Do you accept asbestos?
A. We accept non-friable, with DHEC approval.

Q. What to do with mix loads?
A. All loads must be separated according to material. Do not mix scrap metal, garbage, yard debris as these items cannot be dumped in one place.

Q. I'm a contractor what must I do?
A. You must set up an account, which will be at the Darlington County landfill scale house. You must have the following: registration card to the vehicle, company name, address, and telephone number. You will then be issued a permit number, which is a one time processing fee of $10.00 each vehicle will need a permit at $10.00 each. (Additional information will be provide by the Scale Master)

Q. Whenever I demolish a structure, can I bring debris to the C&D landfill?
A. For any demolition of structures in Darlington County, SC DHEC requires a demolition permit from the Codes Enforcement Department (843-398-4011) before the demolition begins and before the debris can be accepted.

Q. How can I report illegal dumping or littering in Darlington County?
A. Any time you witness littering or illegal dumping, you can report the violation to our Codes Enforcement Department at 843-398-4011 during normal business hours. You can also use the LITTER BUSTERS HOT LINE any time. Just call 1-800-7-LITTER and provide the license plate number, date and time you witnessed the occurrence.

© 2015 Darlington County